Saturday, September 16, 2006

21

Humbled
7:30 Sunday morning
I pick up a 24 oz. coffee and a sandwich
I make my way to the subway
I haven’t slept
When I get there the train pulls away
Waiting is the only option
I am tired and happy
The only solice I have
Resonates from two large earphones
I finish my sandwich
Just then a homeless man
Reaches into the trash can
He is close
A few more times he passes by
Each is too close for me
I stand to get away, frustrated
Then he approaches and speaks
I ignore him, I am angry
Not because he is angry of offensive
He is sad, he is hungry
He holds a moment then recedes
How happy am I
He is away from me
I can return to my cd player, cell phone, camera
My pumas and my fashion
Thank god I am allowed to be
My angry, cranky, no sleep
World in my hands, twenty-something
White male, in college, middle class
Man of hate
I almost cry
Whomever sits out and looks down
Has just let me know
I am cruel and I have learned

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home